Our Animal Protection Education (APE) provides students and science teachers with the information they need to understand the capabilities, behaviours and sentience of fishes.
Science students will dive into the wonders of the animal kingdom beneath the sea and will consider:
- The many capabilities of fishes
- The science behind the sentience of fishes
- To think critically about animal protection issues
- The importance of sustainability
Through informative, accurate, and scientific resources, students have opportunities to hone their inquiry and critical thinking skills as they investigate the intelligence, memory, capabilities, sentience, and culture of fishes.
The cross-curricular priority of Sustainability plays a vital role in this unit of work and places emphasis on the concept that all life forms, including human life, are connected through ecosystems on which they depend for their wellbeing and survival.
- 6-8 week Unit of Work featuring five focus areas complete with teacher instructions and a wide array of activities;
- Student worksheets and handouts;
- Opportunities for extension;
- Comprehensive and visually engaging Fact Sheet;
- Explainer video ideal for classroom use (5 mins);
- Colourful poster/infographic;
- Student Glossary and accompanying online Quizlet;
- Formative and summative assessment tasks;
- Two podcasts featuring a range of experts discussing fish sentience and commercial fishing;
- Animal Protection Encyclopedia.
To access lessons and worksheets see the box on the right hand side of this page.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL UNIT OF WORK HERE
This 5-minute animated video introduces students to the many capabilities of fishes. It contains no graphic footage and is suitable for use in high school classrooms for all ages and countries.
You can also download the transcript of this video for students to follow along and use for activities.
An introduction to the capabilities and sentience of fishes and an exploration of the commercial fishing industry.
Browse through the Fact Sheet below or download it here.
Concise and ideal for visual learners, this infographic can be printed for use in the classroom or used as an e-resource. Download a pdf here.
These engaging and informative podcasts are suitable for years 7-10. Listen to experts discuss their views and the latest in scientific research on the topic.
- Dr. Jonathan Balcombe, Ethologist and author (USA)
- Prof. Culum Brown, Behavioural Ecologist (AUS)
- Dr. Cat Dorey, Scientific Advisor (AUS)
Download the podcast transcript here
GLOSSARY AND QUIZ
A Glossary of 29 key terms and definitions and an online quiz to help students test their understanding of the key terms contained in this APE. Click here to access the quiz.
If you’re a high school teacher, click here to subscribe to our education mailing list.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.