A selection of resources are listed below to encourage further reading on animal law and policy reform. Please feel free to contact email@example.com with suggested additions.
- Carey, R., Parker, C. & Scrinis, G. ‘Capturing the Meaning of “Free Range”: The Contest Between Producers, Supermarkets and Consumers for the Higher Welfare Egg Label in Australia’ (2017) 54 Journal of Rural Studies 266.
- Chaney, P. ‘Public Policy for Non-humans: Exploring UK State-wide Parties’ Formative Policy Record on Animal Welfare, 1979–2010’ (2014) 67(4) Parliamentary Affairs 907.
- Cooke, K. ‘Defining the Puppy Farm Problem: An Examination of the Regulation of Dog Breeding, Rearing and Sale in Australia’ (2011) 5 Australian Animal Protection Law Journal 3.
- Evans, E. ‘Constitutional Inclusion of Animal Rights in Germany and Switzerland: How Did Animal Protection Become an Issue of National Importance?’ (2010) 18 Society and Animals 231.
- Evans, E.M. ‘Stumbling Blocks or Stepping Stones? The Problems and Promises of Policy Reform for the Animal Advocacy Movement’ (2016) 59(4) Sociological Perspectives 835.
- Ferrere, M.B.R. ‘Codes vs Regulations: How Best to Enforce Animal Welfare in New Zealand?’ (2018) 43(4) Alternative Law Journal 250.
- Frasch, P. & Tischler, J. ‘Animal Law: The Next Generation’ (2019) 25(3) Animal Law 303.
- Garner, R. ‘Animal Protection and Legislators in Britain and the United States’ (1999) 5(2) The Journal of Legislative Studies 92.
- Hamilton, P. ‘Animal Liberation: A View from Political Science’ (2011) 12(1) The Brock Review 129.
- Lu, J., Bayne, K. & Wang J. ‘Current Status of Animal Welfare and Animal Rights in China’ (2013) 41 Alternatives to Laboratory Animals 351.
- Morton, R., Herbart, M.L. & Whittaker, A.L. ‘Increasing Maximum Penalties for Animal Welfare Offences in South Australia – Has it Caused Penal Change?’ (2018) 8(12) Animals 236.
- Mundt, A. ‘Australia’s Need for an Independent Office of Animal Welfare’ (2015) 1 Global Journal of Animal Law 1.
- Otjes, S. ‘The Hobbyhorse of the Party for the Animals’ (2016) 24(4) Society & Animals 383.
- Parker, C. ‘Voting with Your Fork? Industrial Free-Range Eggs and the Regulatory Construction of Consumer Choice’ (2013) 649 The Annals of the American Academy 52.
- Parker, C. et al. ‘A Public Appetite for Poultry Welfare Regulation Reform: Why Higher Welfare Labelling is Not Enough’ (2018) 43(4) Alternative Law Journal 238.
- Radich, A. ‘Appearing Amicus Curiae in Proceedings Involving Animal Interests: Can a Friend of the Animals be a Friend of the Court’ (2010) 4 Australian Animal Protection Law Journal 27.
- Ryland, D. ‘Animal Welfare in Reformed Common Agricultural Policy: Wherefore art Thou?’ (2015) 17(1) Environmental Law Review 22.
- Sankoff, Peter. ‘Five Years of the “New” Animal Welfare Regime: Lessons Learned from New Zealand’s Decision to Modernize its Animal Welfare Legislation’ (2005) 11(7) Animal Law Review 7.
- Walker-Munro, B. ‘Cattle v The Crown: Is There a Place for the Commonwealth as Animal Welfare Guardian?’ (2015) 34 University of Queensland Law Journal 363.
- White, S. ‘Farm Animal Protection Policymaking and the Law: The Impetus for Change’ (2018) 43(4) Alternative Law Journal 244.
- White, S. ‘Regulation of Animal Welfare in Australia and the Emergent Commonwealth: Entrenching the Tradition Approach of the States and Territories or Laying the Ground for Reform?’ (2007) 35(3) Federal Law Review 200.
- Whitford, A.S. ‘Animal Welfare Law, Policy and the Threat of ‘Ag-Gag’: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back’ (2019) 3 Food Ethics 77.
- Wise, S.M. ‘The Struggle for the Legal Rights of Nonhuman Animals Begins – The Experience of the Nonhuman Rights Project in New York and Connecticut’ (2019) 25(3) Animal Law 367.
Books and Dissertations
- Beers, D.L. The History and Legacy of Animal Rights Activism in the United States (Ohio University Press, 2006).
- Caulfield, M. Animals in Australia: Use and Abuse (Vivid Publishing, 2018).
- Chen, J.C. Animal Welfare in Australia: Policy and Politics (Sydney University Press, 2016).
- Francione, G.L. & Garner, R. The Animal Rights Debate: Abolition or Regulation? (Columbia University Press, 2010).
- Goodfellow, J. Animal Welfare Regulation in the Australian Agricultural Sector: A Legitimacy Maximising Analysis (Macquarie Law School, 2015).
- McEwan, A.B. The Concept of Violence: A Proposed Framework for the Study of Animal Protection Law and Policy (Australian National University, 2016)
- Villanueva, G. A Transnational History of the Australian Animal Movement, 1970-2015 (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018).
- White, S.W. Standards and Standard-Setting for Companion and Farm Animal Protection in Queensland, Australia (Griffith Law School, 2016).
- Cao, D. & White, S. (eds.) Animal Law and Welfare – International Perspectives (Springer, 2016) – Chapter 6: Animal Protection Law in Australia: Bound by History (White, S.).
- Cao, D. & White, S. (eds.) Animal Law and Welfare – International Perspectives (Springer, 2016) – Chapter 10: Regulatory Capture and the Welfare of Farm Animals in Australia (Goodfellow, J.).
- Hadley, J. Animal Neopragmatism (Palgrave Macmillan, 2019) The Political Problem of Welfare.
- Sankoff, P. & White, S. (eds.) Animal Law in Australasia (Federation Press, 2016) – Animal Welfare Codes and Regulations – The Devil in Disguise? (Dale, A.).
- Sankoff, P. & White, S. (eds.) Animal Law in Australasia (Federation Press, 2016) – Animal Welfare Law Enforcement: To Punish or Persuade? (Goodfellow, J.).
- Springer, G. & Grimm, H. (eds.) Professionals in Food Chains (Wageningen Academic Publishers, 2018) – Achieving Effective Animal Protection Under the Threat of ‘Ag-Gag’ Laws (Whitfort, A.).
Animal Law Institute
- Submission to the Inquiry into the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Prohibition of Live Imports of Primates for Research) Bill 2015 (2016).
- Submission to the Select Committee on Jumps Racing in Relation to its Inquiry into Jumps Racing (2015).
- Submission in response to the Free Range Egg Labelling Consultation Paper (2015).
- Submission in response to the Racing Reforms in Queensland Discussion Paper (2015).
- Submission to the Special Commission of Inquiry into the Greyhound Racing Industry in NSW (2015).
- Submission to the Inquiry into the Legislative and Regulatory Framework Relating to Restricted Breed Dogs (2015).
- Submission to the Select Committee in relation to the operations of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Western Australia (Inc) (2015).
- Submission in relation to the Dog and Cat Management (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill 2015 and Code of Practice for the Welfare of Dogs and Cats in Breeding Facilities (2015).
Voiceless, the animal protection institute
- Submission on Draft Code of Practice for Commercial Kangaroo Harvesting in NSW (2016).
- Submission on Inquiry into Companion Animal Breeding Practices in NSW (2015).
- Submission on the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Committee – Voice for Animals (Independent Office of Animal Welfare) Bill 2015 (2015).
- Submission to the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee – Criminal Code Amendment (Animal Protection) Bill 2015 (2015).
- Submission on the Draft Industry Code for Growing Free Range Eggs in South Australia (2015).
- Submission on the Proposed Australian Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines for Livestock at Saleyards and Depots (Saleyard Welfare Standards) (2014).
Animal Defenders Office
- Submission on Review of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) (2018).
- Submission on the City of Canterbury Bankstown’s Use of Exotic Animals In Circuses Policy (2018).
- Submission on the NSW Inquiry into Landowner Protection from Unauthorised Filming or Surveillance (2018).
- Submission on Inquiry into Trade in Elephant Ivory and Rhino Horn (2018).
- Submission on ACT Eastern Grey Kangaroo: Draft Controlled Native Species Management Plan (2017).
- Submission on Hawkesbury City Council’s Draft Circus Policy (2017).
- Submission on the Draft Code of Practice for the Commercial Kangaroo Harvesting in NSW (2016).
- Submission on the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Prohibition of Live Exports of Primates for Research) Bill 2015 (2016).
- Submission on the Criminal Code (Animal Protection) Bill 2015 (2015).
Law Institute of Victoria Animal Welfare Working Group
- Submission on the Inquiry into the Impact of Animal Rights Activism on Victorian Agriculture (2019).
- Letter to the Minister for Agriculture expressing concern for current duck hunting regulations (2019).
- Submission to the Senate Standing Committees on Environment and Communications Inquiry into Australia’s Faunal Extinction Crisis (2018).
- Submission on the Standing Committee on Economy and Infrastructure: RSPCA Inquiry (2017).
- A Response to Improving the Welfare of Animals in Victoria – Draft Action Plan 2016-2021 (2016).
- Submission on the Environment, Natural Resources and Regional Development Committee on its Inquiry into the Control of Invasive Animals on Crown Land (2016).
NSW Young Lawyers Animal Law Committee
- Submission on the ACT Government’s Consultation on the Exposure Draft of the Animal Welfare Legislation Amendment Bill 2019 (2019).
- Submission on the Draft Greyhound Racing Regulation 2019 (2019).
- Submission on the Inquiry into the Use of Battery Cages for Hens in the Egg Production Industry (2019).
- Submission on the Review of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) (2018).
- Submission on the Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines for Poultry (2018).
- Submission on the Regulation of Australian Agriculture (2016).
Lawyers for Animals
- Submission on the Proposed Draft Australian Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines – Poultry (2018).
- Submission on the Animal Protection Bill 2018 (NT) (2018).
- Submission to the Inquiry into the RSPCA Victoria (2017).
- Submission to NSW Kosciuszko National Park Wild Horse Management Plan Review (2016).
Ag-gag style legislation
- Right to Farm Bill (NSW) 2019 and the Explanatory Note. Passed into law.
- Criminal Code Amendment (Agricultural Protection) Bill 2019 (Commonwealth) and the Explanatory Memorandum. Passed into law.
Ag-gag response legislation
- Surveillance Devices (Animal Welfare) Amendment Bill 2016 (South Australia). Not passed into law.
Animal sentience recognition legislation
- Animal Welfare Legislation Amendment Bill 2019 (ACT) and the Explanatory Statement. Passed into law.
Animal testing for cosmetics ban legislation
- Industrial Chemicals Bill 2017 (Commonwealth). Passed into law.
Factory farming regulation legislation
Greyhound racing prohibition legislation
- Domestic Animals (Racing Greyhounds) Amendment Bill 2017 (ACT). Passed into law.
Independent office of animal welfare legislation
- Voice for Animals (Independent Office of Animal Welfare) Bill 2015 (Commonwealth). Not passed into law.
Live export regulation legislation
- Live Animal Export (Slaughter) Prohibition Bill 2019 (Commonwealth) and the Explanatory Memorandum. In progress (as of Dec 2019).
- Live Sheep Long Haul Export Prohibition Bill 2019 (Commonwealth) and the Explanatory Memorandum. In progress (as of Dec 2019).
- Inspector-General of Live Animal Exports Bill 2019 (Commonwealth). Passed into law.
Puppy farm regulation legislation
- Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farm and Pet Shops) Act 2017 (Victoria) and the Second Reading Speech.
Recreational duck hunting ban legislation
- Wildlife Amendment (Protection of Birds) Bill 2019 (Victoria). In progress (as of Dec 2019).